Welcome!!

Welcome to Book Belle! I am the Book Belle, Maria! I am a born and raised Southern Belle from North Carolina, and a lover of all things books! Please feel free to say hello, comment on my posts,and PLEASE check out the books I refer to! I love to read, and I love recommending books! So check em' out!!! You won't be sorry!

Monday, August 15, 2011

Book Review: Ladies In Waiting by Laura L. Sullivan

Ladies in Waiting by Laura L. Sullivan

Ladies in Waiting is about three teenage girls - Zabby, Eliza, and Beth- three Elizabeth's who are Ladies in Waiting for Queen Catherine, during the reign of Charles II. Zabby saves the King's life and has a love/obsession with him. Eliza longs for her plays to be famous, and to be free - meaning not treated like a woman but equally like a man. Beth dreams love and of her sweetheart from younger days, and to be free of her Syphilitic/ Man-hating mother.

I believe this novel to be Historical Fiction, it has no dates or true events that exactly happened - yes the characters (the Elizabeths as far as I can tell are not real from research) such as Charles, Catherine, some of his Mistresses, etc were real people. He did have one mistress- Elizabeth Killigrew - maybe the Elizabeths were derived from her, but only the Author knows. :)

It was a lengthy, but entertaining novel, the only vice I found was the ending. The ending was slightly abrupt, and I would have liked to have known what  happened to the girls after they had all parted their separate ways, perhaps a epilogue or another chapter would have fine. It kind of left you wondering at the end. Otherwise this novel is a great read, a good historical fiction, and I look forward to seeing this Author with other books as well!! :)

Note: This book is due to be May 2012

Reviewed for : www.netgalley.com

No comments:

Post a Comment